Forecast more >
Dense Fog Advisory in our area until 8:00 AM. Fog will lift, giving us another nice day. A few clouds moving in today and tonight. Afternoon temperatures today will again reach the lower 70's. A front moving through will only allow highs in the upper 50's for Friday. And we're still including a good chance of rain ...
US restricts travel of Syrian UN envoy
By MATTHEW LEE
AP Diplomatic Writer
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The State Department says it has imposed restrictions on the travel of Syria's ambassador to the United Nations.
The move follows complaints from Syrian-Americans that the ambassador, Bashar Jafari, was trying to divide their community.
The department says it's told the diplomat that he no longer can travel within the United States outside of the five boroughs of New York City.
Spokeswoman Jen Psaki is declining to elaborate on the restriction.
Diplomats from several countries, including some of those listed as state sponsors of terrorism, are required to get approval before traveling outside a 25-mile radius of Manhattan.
Some Syrian-Americans had complained that the envoy was traveling around the United States on a propaganda tour in support of Syrian President Bashar Assad's government.
- Weakened Obama Heads to Congress to Save Unpopular Syria Plan
- Obama and Lawmakers Seize on Russian Offers on Syrian Weapons
- Americans Unconvinced About Striking Syria, Poll Shows
- Washington Times – Syria article search results
- ArabNews.com – “UN: 7 million displaced by Syrian civil war”
- CNN – “Syria Civil War Fast Facts”
- PolitiFact.com – ‘Fleeing Syria, "a million children are now refugees."’
- Voice of America – “UN Chief: Syria Strikes Could Worsen Civil War”
- Consortiumnews.com – “Understanding the Syrian Civil War”
- Wickipedia – “Syrian civil war”