Forecast more >
Higher moisture levels continue to move in off the Gulf which will result in mostly cloudy skies through Saturday. A few showers will be possible Friday with widespread showers and thunderstorms expected Saturday evening into Saturday night. Some of the storms could be severe.
Italy names Calabrian port for chemical transfers
ROME (AP) -- Italian officials say the southern Italian port of Gioia Tauro will be the site for the transfer of a shipment of chemical weapons materials from Syria to a U.S. ship.
Transport Minister Maurizio Lupi identified the port in a joint meeting of the parliamentary foreign affairs commissions.
The raw materials for poison gas and nerve agents currently are on board a Danish ship, and Italy has agreed to serve as the transfer port to a U.S. ship.
Lupi said a total of 60 containers of the material would be transferred ship-to-ship at the port in Calabria, near the toe of the Italian boot, and none would be brought to shore.
- Weakened Obama Heads to Congress to Save Unpopular Syria Plan
- Obama and Lawmakers Seize on Russian Offers on Syrian Weapons
- Americans Unconvinced About Striking Syria, Poll Shows
- Washington Times – Syria article search results
- ArabNews.com – “UN: 7 million displaced by Syrian civil war”
- CNN – “Syria Civil War Fast Facts”
- PolitiFact.com – ‘Fleeing Syria, "a million children are now refugees."’
- Voice of America – “UN Chief: Syria Strikes Could Worsen Civil War”
- Consortiumnews.com – “Understanding the Syrian Civil War”
- Wickipedia – “Syrian civil war”