Forecast more >
A dry weather pattern will continue for the next few days with below normal temperatures. In fact, scattered frost can be expected Sunday morning over the Lakes Area. A warming trend will begin early next week with a good coverage of showers and thunderstorms by the middle and later part of next week.
Italy names Calabrian port for chemical transfers
ROME (AP) -- Italian officials say the southern Italian port of Gioia Tauro will be the site for the transfer of a shipment of chemical weapons materials from Syria to a U.S. ship.
Transport Minister Maurizio Lupi identified the port in a joint meeting of the parliamentary foreign affairs commissions.
The raw materials for poison gas and nerve agents currently are on board a Danish ship, and Italy has agreed to serve as the transfer port to a U.S. ship.
Lupi said a total of 60 containers of the material would be transferred ship-to-ship at the port in Calabria, near the toe of the Italian boot, and none would be brought to shore.
- Weakened Obama Heads to Congress to Save Unpopular Syria Plan
- Obama and Lawmakers Seize on Russian Offers on Syrian Weapons
- Americans Unconvinced About Striking Syria, Poll Shows
- Washington Times – Syria article search results
- ArabNews.com – “UN: 7 million displaced by Syrian civil war”
- CNN – “Syria Civil War Fast Facts”
- PolitiFact.com – ‘Fleeing Syria, "a million children are now refugees."’
- Voice of America – “UN Chief: Syria Strikes Could Worsen Civil War”
- Consortiumnews.com – “Understanding the Syrian Civil War”
- Wickipedia – “Syrian civil war”