BEAUMONT - A child has admitted playing with a cigarette lighter and causing a fire that heavily damaged his family's home in north Beaumont, according to information Capt. Earl White of the Beaumont Fire Department provided to KFDM News.
The Fire Marshal tells KFDM news a 12 year old boy admits playing with a cigarette lighter and causing a fire that began in a sofa, and spread throughout his family's north Beaumont home.
Officers detained the child and ordered him to undergo an evaluation.
KFDM anchor Ashley Gaston is investigating. She joins us in the studio with details. Ashley.
A neighbor told KFDM news the 12 year old knocked on her door this morning and asked if he could call his mother.
The neighbor said once the boy spoke with his mom, he left to go home.
Within minutes, at about nine this morning... the neighbor saw smoke and flames coming from the home where the child lives with his family.
Firefighters are searching through the charred, smoke-filled home in the 3700 block of West Lynwood.
Making sure none of the five children was inside.
“I was scared. I wasn't prepared for that. It was a scary thought,” said Pamela Coleman
Pamela Coleman called 911 when she saw the smoke and the flames.
She knew the oldest child was home, but wasn't sure about the others.
“I knew they had kids there and the first thing I thought about was anyone left in the house,” said Coleman.
Coleman quickly ran to three nearby homes to warn neighbors about the house fire.
“They were shocked and scared that something happened in the neighborhood,” said Coleman.
But what confused Coleman and her neighbors the most....
“It’s appears the 12 year old playing with a cigarette lighter and the house caught fire,” said Fire Marshal Earl White.
White said the 12 year old was home alone.
The child admitted playing with a cigarette lighter...causing the sofa to burn.
“Right now the number one thing is to get him some medical help and make sure everything works out for him,” said White.
“I really feel sorry. I wish I could help,” said Coleman.
The home is a total loss.
The Red Cross is helping the family