Forecast more >
Gradual clearing is expected with some remaining high clouds Thursday. Lows tonight will be near freezing in the Lakes Area to middle 30's in the Triangle. A little warmer Thursday with highs into the middle 50's. The next cold front will be in our area Saturday with a few showers ...
FEMA dome construction continues despite bad weather
LUMBERTON - By Justin Hinton, KFDM News
Bad weather has delayed construction on the FEMA dome in Lumberton by about a month, says the Lumberton school district superintendent, John Valastro.
Despite the issues, he says the project is still moving well.
Probably in the next week, we will have a roof on this structure, Valastro said.
Crews began work on the dome in April and will finish the walls before moving on to the roof and the floor.
They'll come back and then they'll put the flooring in and then as we get funding, we'll finish the seating the lighting, the stage the curtains and all of that, Valastro said.
The dome will have a dual purpose: providing a safe space for first responders during an emergency and as an auditorium for the district when its not in use for emergencies.
The design of the building is it has to have 80 percent of the floor space free for occupancy during an emergency, so any seating will have to be retractable, Valastro said.
The multi-million dollar project is predominantly funded by FEMA 75 percent of the total grant is set aside for the domes entire cost. The other 25 percent will be for the auditorium. The district will be responsible for coming up with the 25 percent for the auditorium.
Valastro is hopeful they will receive enough funding by next December to start hosting concerts inside the auditorium for the holiday season.