Forecast more >
After some early morning fog hampering driving this morning, look for partly cloudy skies moving in just before lunch. Highs today will again reach the low and mid 80's. Tonight will see lows again fall to the mid 60's. More of the same for the rest of the week, with highs in the low and mid 80's. We'll add in a 30% coverage of showers ...
Dr Chargois answers follow up questions
KFDM News anchor Kelli Phillips submitted follow up questions to BISD's Dr. Chargois in connection with her previous interview with him on Live at Five.
Click here to watch the interview.
These are the questions submitted via email:
1. In another story that we broke here on KFDM, it was discovered that certain material in your newsletter Super News was plagiarized, directly copied from other sources. You told the trustees that you accept responsibility for this and said while you always collaborate on the Super News content you do not personally write every word yourself, and you stated that the person responsible would be disciplined. In response to another FOI request, we now have a copy of an email from Nakisha Myles stating that she was the person responsible for the plagiarism and apologizing for it. Some BISD students could be questioning this in light of the fact that they would likely receive a failing grade for plagiarismand some colleges and universities automatically expel students for plagiarism. Do you consider this issue properly dealt with and closed?
2. The culinary arts class at West Brook was told by a teacher that they would not be able to do the test Wednesday. She told them that BISD had shut the account to buy supplies for the class which includes all the food. Students are having to bring food from home to complete the course. Is this the new norm for BISD? Why was the account closed and where did the money go?
3. What is the districts policy for hiring those who falsify credentials and answers on their job applications? This is a policy question; not a personnel question.
4. What is the superintendents role in enforcing district policy?
5. Have you, Dr. Chargois, fulfilled the superintendents role completely in enforcing district policy?
6. Have you ever received instructions from the board or past superintendent to not enforce, not report, not document, selectively enforce or ignore any district policy?
7. Besides Jessie, a few of your other top administrators have made the headlines recently, among them Mrs Lambert, for spending hundreds of thousands of dollars with her son while she was the principal of Central. No law or policy may have been broken, but wouldn't you agree this is unethical? What are the consequences?
8. Two of the districts top financial officers are being investigated by the FBI for misappropriation of districts money, millions of dollars. A couple of board members had asked for independent audits. That never happened, as the leader of BISD, didn't it concern you that the operating fund balance was sinking pretty quickly, and what responsibility do you take for the mishandling of tax payers money?
9. On Thursdays Board Meeting agenda, the termination of the District Comptroller is listed as a line item. However, the termination of the Director of Finance is not. In the November meeting, both were voted by the trustees to be in the process of termination. Why are they both not listed on the agenda for Thursday? Explain.
This is the response KFDM News received from Dr. Chargois via email:
Thank you for your submitting follow-up questions from our interview earlier this week. It was great having the opportunity to visit with you. Please see my comments below.
All questions referenced to district policies can be accessed by visiting http://pol.tasb.org/Home/Index/725.
Directly or indirectly the district does not comment on matters of personnel.
Parents and constituents with specific concerns about a campus should direct them to the campus administrator.
Please do not take this as an attempt to avoid answering your questions however details regarding these questions could result in a comprise of confidential information.