Forecast more >
Nice afternoon with a couple of small showers as weak front moved back north as a warm front. Some fog again tonight but should be more low clouds as enough wind should keep the fog from being to widespread. An upper level disturbance will pass north of the area late tomorrow with T-storms in northeast Texas. Big question is will the ...
BISD responds to assault leave questions
BEAUMONT - By Justin Hinton, KFDM News
The Beaumont Independent School District answered several of our questions surrounding its assault leave policy and how it relates to Communications Director/Special Assistant to the Superintendent for Communications Jessie Haynes through a collection of responses from the communications department and human resources.
The list of questions and answers can be found below:
1. What is the definition of assault? Who determines whether an assault occurs?
TITLE 5. OFFENSES AGAINST THE PERSON
CHAPTER 22. ASSAULTIVE OFFENSES
Sec. 22.01. ASSAULT. (a) A person commits an offense if the person:
(1) intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes bodily injury to another, including the person's spouse;
(2) intentionally or knowingly threatens another with imminent bodily injury, including the person's spouse; or
(3) intentionally or knowingly causes physical contact with another when the person knows or should reasonably believe that the other will regard the contact as offensive or provocative.
3. What documentation needs to be filed to maintain that someone is eligible for assault leave? Does the assaulted individual have to be the one that requests assault leave?
Medical documentation indicating that time is necessary to recuperate from sustained injuries and/or that the individual is under a doctors care is required. The individual claiming assault does have to request the leave.
4. What documentation needs to be filed to maintain that someone can remain on assault leave? How often?
Medical documentation is requested periodically at the discretion of the Human Resources Department to verify that the leave is still allowable.
5. Are there any work activities permitted while on any and all types of paid leave?
Employees are not expected or required to perform any work while on leave, however, there is no prohibition from communicating with their department particularly as it relates to continued productivity.
The district, however, did not answer any questions surrounding Haynes herself, saying in an email, We have attempted to provide you with answers to the questions that you submitted to us. Please keep in mind that the district does not publically discuss personnel matters. Therefore, we have omitted answers specific to an individual employee including questions two and parts of questions three and four.
The following list contains questions they did not answer.
2. A person is granted assault leave when they are assaulted during the performance of regular duties. Is blocking a door or preventing someone from going into a meeting considered regular duties?
3. Has that been filed for Jessie Haynes? (referring to the documentation needed to be filed to maintain someone is eligible for assault leave)
4. Has that been filed in Jessie Haynes case? (referring to documentation needed to be filed to maintain that someone can remain on assault leave)