Forecast more >
High pressure is building in from the north as another surge of cooler air arrives Friday. The coolest weather of the Fall season is expected Saturday and Sunday with the chance of some patchy frost in the Lakes ...
Beaumont apartment fire displaces dozens of families
BEAUMONT - Beaumont fire investigators say a cigarette ignited curtains and sparked a fire that displaced dozens of families from an apartment complex.
Shortly after 10:00 p.m. Tuesday, Beaumont Fire Rescue units responded to a structure fire reported at the Ashley Park apartment complex, 3190 Eastex Freeway. When firefighters arrived they found one apartment on fire and residents were evacuating from neighboring apartments.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to one apartment and the attic space just above it. Four apartments suffered water damage and several others were damaged by smoke. Due to damage to the electrical power supply, power had to be turned off to one entire building which displaced approximately 40 residents from 24 apartments. There were no injuries. Red Cross was called to the scene to assist those displaced residents.
The fire was caused when curtains were ignited by a dropped cigarette.