Forecast more >
Some patchy fog tonight ahead of a cold front which will move through Wednesday morning. Gsuty northwest to north winds can be expected Wednesday with gusts in excess of 30 mph possible. Colder temperatures can be expected Thursday morning with lows likely falling into the upper 30's.
Heating lamp fire kills pregnant dog
BEAUMONT- by Haley Bull
A Beaumont family's effort to keep their dogs warm during freezing temperatures proved fatal Tuesday. Investigators said a heat lamp sparked a fire that killed the family's pregnant pit bull.
The shelter where Anissa Randle kept her pit bull is now a pile of charred rubble and debris.
"Was no way she'd be able to make it out of her," Randle said.
The result of a fire investigators said started with a heat lamp.
"We was keeping the dogs warm by using heat lamps, light bulbs and we clamped them onto the dog house," Randle said.
Something she does every winter.
"Noticed something bright in the backyard and I looked out and seen both dog houses in flames," Randle said. "So one dog was able to get away and the other dog couldn't get away. She burned up."
Candy was chained and couldn't get away from the flames. The pit bull was part of the Randle family for about three years. She was due to have puppies next month.
"It's hard and I was kinda upset when that happened last night," Randle said.
The accident wasn't the first of its' kind for Beaumont Animal Services.
"Every year when the temperatures do drop below the thirties we do hear this happening," Beaumont Animal Services Supervisor Matthew Fortenberry said.
He said heat lamps can be beneficial.
"But it's like space heaters, you have to make sure they're away from any other combustible materials," Fortenberry said.
"Just be cautious on using those heat lamp bulbs," Randle said. "I wouldn't want one of the dogs to burn up due to the heating lamps."
It's a dog owner's warning, a woman who said she had good intentions, now mourning a pregnant pet gone.
The animal services director said in cold weather, bring your pets inside. If not, provide shelter and bedding, and make sure they have plenty of food and water. If you use a heating lamp, keep it away from anything flammable.