Forecast more >
A dry weather pattern will continue for the next few days with below normal temperatures. In fact, scattered frost can be expected Sunday morning over the Lakes Area. A warming trend will begin early next week with a good coverage of showers and thunderstorms by the middle and later part of next week.
Firefighters work multiple weather related fires
BEAUMONT- by Haley Bull
While many people spent Friday dealing with ice and freezing weather, Beaumont firefighters spent hours putting out fires, some weather-related.
All that's left standing at 9307 Glynn Ln. is the shell of a house.
"Everything's pretty much gone. I mean the living room, the kitchen, bathrooms are gone. The only thing, room, that really wasn't too bad was my parent's room," Mikayla Kamp, 22, said.
25 years of the things that made up a home are gone.
"I actually had just gotten back from work when I saw the fire trucks and started running down the street," Kamp said.
A fire consumed her house.
"I just started screaming," Kamp said. "It was just like a nightmare come true."
Her father and mother were inside the house and made it out okay.
"She saw flames out the back porch and she was just like get out the house, get out. And then a few seconds after they got out the house, it engulfed in flames," Kamp said.
Investigators said the fire started in a wall behind the fireplace, on to keep the family warm during the cold weather. It wasn't the only weather-related fire.
"We're basically south, don't have a lot of cold weather, so when we do it's an unusual phenomenon and sometimes we do have several, several accidents," Beaumont Fire Captain Earl White said.
White said there were four major fires, three possibly weather related.
A fire at a vacant Economy Inn in the 3500 block of College St. investigators said was started by transients trying to keep warm.
Another fire in the 2100 block of Pope St. firefighters said started with an electrical short, and an attic fire in the 4900 block of Kenneth.
No one was injured in any of the fires.
But Sunday, Kamp's family was left picking through piles of blackened rubble.
"It's crazy what mad it and what didn't" Kamp said while she held a childhood picture, one of the few things the flames spared.
"This is just material things, but my family means more to me than anything," Kamp said.
Firefighters said during the cold, use precautions with fireplace, make sure there is a screen in front and the fire is out before you go to bed. If you use a space heater leave at least three feet between it and anything flammable. If you can't plug it into the wall, use a multi-plug strip with a circuit breaker and check your smoke detectors.