Forecast more >
Showers are a little more prevalent with a system moving just south of Sea Rim State Park. This system has the National Hurricane Center investigating, and has placed a 20% probability that the system will become tropical during the next 48 hours. However, the system is heading west and southwest, moving closer to the Corpus Christi and Brownsville ...
Restaurant Report Card: Feb. 21, 2014
KFDM News - A large roach infestation and mold in the ice machine are just a few of the problems inspectors found at Beaumont restaurants.
Kelli Phillips has the highs and lows in this edition of the Restaurant Report Card:
We begin with Happy Donuts on Delaware. Inspector Scott found kolaches and tacos not being kept at the proper temperature. An employee rolling out kolaches was coughing, a personal drink was found on the food prep table, and a cook was not wearing a hair restraint all of which are violations of good hygienic practices. A box full of bags of filling was stored on floor beneath shelves with a dead roach stuck to side of it, and a roof leak was discovered in the restroom. A live roach was found in the pan of kolaches and an extermination was ordered. The food contact surfaces needed to be cleaned. Happy Donuts on Delaware received a 74.
Now to Kotoyama on Dowlen Road. The inspector found many foods from the day before left out and not protected. Most food contact surfaces were not clean, and there was a heavy cockroach infestation. Employees were using toilet paper and not paper towels at all hand sinks. Kotoyama on Dowlen Road gets an 80.
Next, inspectors visit Carl's Jr., on Eastex Freeway. The floors under the equipment and refrigerators were not clean. Dust was on the ceilings at the vents. Gnats were found inside packages of buns. Sinks and drainboards were not clean, and there were items left unwashed from night before. There was slight pink mold in an ice machine. Carl's Jr., gets an 82.
And finally, inspector Scott checks out Starvin Marvin's Bar & Grill on 11th Street. A radio was found on a cutting board, a light was out in the cook area, and mushrooms were not washed before being cut. Also, there were some refrigerators that weren't clean and the bar was sticky, which could lead to cross contamination. A live cockroach was also found on the bar. No sanitizer was found in the towels to wipe tables. No cleaner was in the dishwasher. All food contact surfaces needed to be thoroughly cleaned. Starvin Marvin's Bar and Grill gets an 84.