Email List
 

Watch Newscasts LIVETraffic Senior SegmentPay It ForwardRoad Trippin
Advertise with us!

Forecast    more >

Synopsis.......

 

Another hot start for the coast and the lakes. With moisture in place, we could see a repeat of the isolated showers and t-storms as we saw yesterday. Highs today will again reach the lower 90's. By Friday and through the weekend, we will see the moisture out and hot temps on the rise. Look for mid and upper 90's by Sunday and Monday.

 



More...

Washington Times

Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Is teaching stranger danger enough?

HARDIN COUNTY - By Justin Hinton, KFDM News

The assistant director for the Hardin County Crime Victims Assistance Center says her office is pace to break the number of sexual assaults that took place for the 2011-2012 period.

Cindy Colwell says for the month of May, there were eight sexual assault victims, seven of which were children.

I think the youngest was three and the oldest was 17, she said.

That brings the total number of sexual assaults of children for the 2012-2013 period to 47 with six more months to go.

The last measuring period saw a total of 82 sexual assaults. At the halfway point, this period is already ahead of that number.

Colwell says she cant pinpoint exactly why so many occurred last month, but says its important to speak to children about sexual assault, and not just through stranger danger.

Instead of focusing on strangers, she teaches children about behaviors that others exhibit.

Statistics say that 88 percent is by someone they know, so that's leaving about 12 percent, she said. We talk about behaviors, whether it's someone you know or someone you don't know that are the problem, not the person themselves.

Colwell says nationally one in four girls and one in six boys will be sexually assaulted before they turn 18 and minority communities under report sexual assault cases.

When you've been sexually assaulted, it doesn't matter how you were touched, whether it was force, whether you were underage and didn't really give consent or that type of thing. It doesn't matter because the sense of violation is the same, it's there.

If you are need of assistance, you can reach the Hardin County Crime Victims' Assistance Center at (409) 246-4300.

 

Tonight on KFDM Channel 6

6:00 -
KFDM 6 evening news
6:30 -
WHEEL OF FORTUNE
7:00
ComedyTime
7:30-
ComedyTime
8:00 -
CrimeTime
9:00-
48 Hours Mystery
10:00 -
KFDM 6 NEWS tonight

Complete Schedule »

Talkers